Villas in Moraira. Villa rentals. Apartments and Bungalows. Summer Holidays

 Español  Deutsh  Français  English  Hollands 
Castle of Moraira
The Castle of Moraira, although planned at the same time as the Torre del Cap D'Or, was not constructed until 1742, as shown on the Bourbon shield over the door. Its curious shape is known as an Oxs Hoof due to the semi-circular south face, with a straight north face which includes the entrance to the interior. The castle is currently home to an audiovisual museum on the sea and pirates.
This church is located in the town centre of Moraira and was built between 1875 and 1878 with stone taken from the Castle of Moraira, which was demolished in one of the battles of the Carlist wars. It has been refurbished on several occasions, most recently in 1989. Its front is reminiscent of the typical architecture of the area, the riu-raus, porticoes with semi-circular arches. It also has outstanding stained-glass windows, which furnish the building with its very special colours. The east faade holds the statue of La Virgen del Carmen, Patron Saint of sailors and a maritime procession is held in her honour on 16 July.
The Parish Church of Santa Catalina stands out thanks to its compactness and austere medieval style. It was built at the end of the 16th century as a church-fortress in response to the frequent attacks from Berber pirates the town suffered at that time. It is of Renaissance style with Gothic details. It has a single nave with four 4 sections, a ribbed ceiling and an apse decorated with Byzantine-style paintings crowned with the parish coat of arms. The cost of its construction was paid for by the locals of Teulada by means of a special tax. It took 35-40 years to be built. Its interior once held a wealth of statues, but they were destroyed in the war. The only remaining statue is that of San Vicente Ferrer, which dates from the 18th century and was saved from destruction thanks to being hidden behind a wall in the home of a family that lived in Teulada. The church has a Romanesque-style organ that is one of the oldest in the province. The bell tower was built in the 19th century. It is 30 metres high and has a hexagonal layout.
In the heart of the historical centre of Teulada stands the Sala de Jurats i Justcies (Courts of Justice). This impressive building is the towns most important civil monument and was where the local authorities used to hold their meetings until 1991. It was built in 1620 in rough, rectangular stone and is set on three semi-circular front arches and two side arches. It has a sundial dated 1639 and stands next to the former home of Constanza Ferrer, sister of San Vicente Ferrer, the Patron Saint of Teulada. The square on which it stands was formerly used for commerce and trade such as the sale of fish and the traditional custom of slaughtering pigs. The building has undergone various transformations in its time owing to the whims of the local authority of the day, which opened or closed the arches to suit the functions it wanted to give the building. Throughout history, it has been the most practical building in Teulada and has been home to schools and markets, and used as a rehearsal room for the municipal band, a magistrates court and town hall.
The chapel of la Divina Pastora alongside the church is a quaint building with the main doorway in renaissance style while the rest is in baroque style. Funeral functions are carried out in the chapel.
1 2 Next >>
Accomodation search


- Leisure & Activities
- Fiestas
- Views of Moraira
- Monuments
- Moraira
- Beaches
- Rambling
- Gastronomy

     (+34) 610 926 986

Sandra Villas S.L.
c/Juan XXIII, nº 7 - 03724 Moraira
Alicante - España

Empresa de Alquileres Turísticos
Servicio Territorial de Turismo
Autorización No. EEAT.185ª

2009 © Diseñado por SeoSys